This week sees the return of the EFL Youth Alliance Cup Final which will be contested between Milton Keynes Dons and Rotherham United. The final takes place at Stadium MK on Thursday 20 April with a 7pm kick off.
Rotherham United qualified to the knockout stages as one of the best runners-up in the Northern Group Stages. Following the group stages, the Millers impressively secured their place in the final with the following results in the knockout stages of the competition:
Rotherham United’s route to the Final:
- Round of 16: Bradford City 2 – 3 Rotherham United
- Quarter Finals: Lincoln City 1 – 3 Rotherham United
- Semi Finals: Rotherham United 2 – 1 Mansfield Town
And Milton Keynes Dons have recorded some impressive wins this year en-route to the Final with the standout result being their victory over Youth Alliance South West champions, AFC Bournemouth, in Round 2 of the competition.
Milton Keynes Dons’ route to the Final:
- Round 1: Exeter City 3 – 3 (4-5 Pens) Milton Keynes Dons
- Round 2: Milton Keynes Dons 3 – 2 AFC Bournemouth
- Round 3: Southend United 0 – 3 Milton Keynes Dons
- Quarter Finals: Milton Keynes Dons 3 – 2 Portsmouth
- Semi Finals Cambridge United 1 – 3 Milton Keynes Dons
With both teams not having the Youth Alliance League campaigns either would have set out for at the start of the season, the accomplishment of making the Cup final is even more impressive.
Both teams will be looking to topple the reigning champions Preston North End, who won the competition last time out.
Milton Keynes Dons will be issuing information around tickets in due course.